George or "Squire" Cummings came to the village of Rosemont in 1857 and purchased a parcel of land from Hugh
Morrison that fronted Commercial Street (now Hwy 89). In 1861-62 George constructed the building, which would
one day become the modern Rosemont General Store and Kitchen. George sold the building in 1886, and since then,
it has gone through several owners. In 1945, James E. and Annie Q. Nicol purchased the building and ran a
general store, known as Nicol's store. The Nicols sold the store 1950 and it passed through several more owners
including Pam and Russell Stewart.
In 2012 the Rosemont General Store was purchased by the current owners
Janice and Earle O‘Born. It was essential to renovate and restore the building extensively. After being part
of the Community for 33 years they created a project that would restore the Rosemont hamlet to its past
glory. The main focus was to ensure everyone in the Community could enjoy the improvements. Also, they
wanted to create sustainable employment within the Community. They started with the General Store, ensuring
it was brought up to code. It was important to them to maintain the original character.
specializes in organic, locally sourced products, homemade pies, entrees, tea biscuits, bread, etc., and a
wide selection of merchandise from the United Kingdom. There is a 30-seat café in the store and every effort
was made to keep the original decor. The aroma of freshly prepared baked goods fills the air, with every
item on the menu made from scratch. “One of the reasons we bought the store was so people in the community
had somewhere to get their newspaper, their coffee and their OLG ticket,” Janice said. “It really has become
a community hub.” The Kitchen is famous for its fresh homemade soups and entrées, including pizza cooked in
the Woodstone oven. Catering can be booked for special events on the premises or in your chosen location. It
also produces prepared foods to take away.
The Globe serves the public at large and has been a meeting place for the
residents of Rosemont and the surrounding areas. Once the Rosemont Hospitality Group had purchased the
restaurant it was evident that it had be totally refurbished bringing it up to code. The first task was to make
it wheel chair accessible on the ground level. This included the walkways, entrance and washrooms.
was completely demolished and rebuilt while the main floor dining room was opened up replacing all the windows
to ensure they were environmentally efficient. Upstairs was renovated to include a library along with a 25 seat
dining room and staff room. The basement was completely restored upgrading the heating, and water supply making
a significant improvement environmentally. It was also the ideal time to construct a 30 seat outdoor patio for
Beth Hunt and David McCracken, were the guiding force behind the restaurant’s success
over the past three decades. Not only were Beth and David owners and managers of The Globe Restaurant, but also
generous and philanthropic members of the community. Beth calls the transfer of ownership a “new opportunity for
The Globe Restaurant and the community to retain its prominent position among the best Country Restaurants in
Although a lot has changed since The Globe was a stage coach stop and a boarding house for
the men who built Highway 89, the character of the original inn with its two dining rooms and famous bar, has
never been lost. Janice sees her responsibility “as one of protecting an important piece of local
Beth continues to work for the Rosemont Hospitality Group combining her many skills with
Executive Chef Jason Reiner. In keeping with The Globe’s tradition and with Beth’s help, Jason works closely
with local farmers, foragers and ingredient suppliers to create cuisine from every food group that has regional,
Janice said the Store and The Globe provide unique products and services to the
community in Dufferin County and our common ownership will ensure that our growing customer base is well served
on both sides of the highway. Her sense of community is a core value and she is committed to making Rosemont a
culinary destination that will encourage residents and visitors alike.
Three years ago the Rosemont Hospitality Group purchased, what was known as The
Loyal Orange Lodge, which had fallen into serious disrepair and made substantive renovations to the building and
the parking areas. In 1885, the hall was put up for tender and an individual by the name of Mr. Tate donated a
site for a new hall on the south side of what is now Highway 89.
Moved by 1st committeeman, second by
Bro. George Fletcher, “that this L.O.L. be adjourned until the stale cheese and biscuits of last meeting be
consumed by a number of hungry individuals.” In 1928, a committee was appointed to determine the cost of
repairing the old hall in which the Orangemen met. The building committee members consisted of Bros. E. Brett,
F. Cumberland, A. Creary, Wm. Mitchell, and W.J. Little, who were appointed on December 6, 1929. Several special
meetings were held, and it was finally decided to build a new hall with a full basement in Rosemont. They tore
down their old lodges and used the best of the lumber to build their new hall, which still stands today. During
the building of the hall, their lodge meetings were held in the Globe Hotel. Following the death of the King
George in January 1936, no entertainment was allowed in the hall for a period of three months. In 1937,
arrangements were made to have hydro installed, and the gasoline lamps were sold. Four years later, plans were
made to install central heating with a pipeless furnace. In April of 1949, the shed was sold and a washroom and
woodshed were constructed, attached to the east side of the hall.
It was the hall that proved to be the
biggest challenge — and perhaps the biggest achievement for the Rosemont Hospitality Group. “The hall hadn’t
been loved in a while,” Janice said. “It was massive investment and a massive renovation. It took a year to do
it.” Two bronze statues were commissioned from John Farrugia, a local sculptor and Director of the Craganrock
Studio. “Mary” a woman from the 1800s, and “George” a farmer of the same period, when Rosemont thrived as
stagecoach stop. “Mary” is installed outside The Rosemont Hall. “George” will be located outside The Globe. The
hall welcomes groups that want to hold celebrations of life, graduations, wedding receptions and other events.